Friday, February 27, 2009

YET ANOTHER VIDEO FROM GERMANY

I am in the mission memory mode at the moment as we send out our reunion invitations. And as things are a little quiet on the home front, I have been thinking back.

Things are not totally on the quiet side as Mom is in high gear with her 'Emergency Preparedness" assignment in the Relief Society and is attending meetings and demonstrations everywhere almost every night. I am even eating alfalfa sprouts grown in our refrigerator. I feel so healthy. Mom bought enough alfalfa seeds to rejuvenate a hayfield! More about this later.

I am posting a video of two of our Sister Missionaries, then Erin Swenson and Kristin Green. I let both bring their violins to the mission field and stationed them as a pair down in Vienna. Erin was a concert violinist and brought her valuable Viennese violin from the 1800's. I invited them both one day to come to this little Restaurant in the Grinzing area of Vienna, at Sandgasse 6. There was a violinist there who constantly serenaded us when we visited after meetings. Erin and Kristin came in dressed in their blazers and long skirts with violins strapped to their backs. That was an unforgettable sight.

The local violinist, who had been first violinist in a Serbian symphony checked out Erin's violin and pronounced it manufactured in Hungary when Hungary was part of the Austrian- Hungarian Empire. He said it was OK to play there.

So under a canopy of grape leaves on a beautiful summer evening in Vienna, they started playing hymns together and the whole place went totally silent as all were touched.

Here is a sample of Erin and Kristin performing in our Mission home. They were great in every way.

Love, Dad

5 comments:

Emily said...

They are amazing--makes me wish I didn't quit the violin when I was 13. Hey I posted a missionary video on my blog of Johnny speaking Greek. He is not singing--but he sounds good.

TinTin said...

I love it! Thanks president. This was a special time to say the least. It was divine inspiration that brought the two violinists together, even if it was for just one transfer, it was bliss!

Dad Wirthlin said...

Hi Kristin.. you both were great and I am so glad I recorded just a few moments from that experience. Hope you are ok in London
Pres. W

Erin said...

This is such a great memory. Thanks so much for posting it President!

Heidi said...

Yay! 2 wonderfully talented sisters. I love this song.