Sunday, October 5, 2008

SATURDAY GENERAL CONFERENCE

We had family over for the first day of General conference of our Church. It is a great time; there are all sorts of reunions, family, church groups, and missionary groups. I did not go to my own missionary group that has been meeting for 50 years each conference. I went last time and saw my first missionary companion, Albert Perschon, whom I had not seen for 50 years. We did not go this time because Suz was coming in from Arizona and there would be another mini-family reunion.

Mary and Mark and their children also came from Michigan and stayed with us. The house rocked! one of the things that happens when the gals get together is a great clothing exchange. This is often fueled by Cheryl who likes to clean out her closets often.

This usually occurs in our front hall with clothes for little kids spread all over. into "outfits". I don't remember an emphasis on outfits when we had all our little kids. We were glad to have them covered. Here we see a picture of Mary and Suz exchanging clothing and recounting the history of each piece.



Becca was there with her four children so we had about 18 kids, seven and under watching conference. They were mostly five and under and we had little kids holding babies. It was a great family time. It was hard to pay attention with everyone jumping around like crazy but I finally got them settled down into individual seats for the last speaker. Conference was truly great and inspiring.

After conference, the gals wanted to make crepes and there was a bee line to the kitchen. Suz bonked her head on an open cabinet door and remembering Elder Wirthlin's talk.. we all had a hearty laugh.

I had always gone with my Father to General Priesthood meeting since I was little. When we had our family, I always took my sons and we drove to a stake center to listen to the audio version as they did not have video streams in Boston or Michigan. We have kept up this tradition. We usually went for a treat afterward and that got a little complicated here in Salt Lake as all the resturants are full with other Fathers with similar ideas.

So now, those that can, come up to our chapel down the street and we fill an entire row in the chapel. I was proud of everyone sitting there..four son-in-laws and two sons with their boys.. all in white shirts and ties..it was great. We review what they learn afterward and each remarked on something that impressed them.

Priesthood meeting was great again as well. Elder Scott talked from the heart about men being kinder in the home and more considerate to their wife. I asked my daughters whether at the Women's conference, they advised the sisters to give their husbands a little slack. "No, they say we are good!" The talks were approporiate and inspiring. Our daughters had their own program.. see Al's Blog.

Afterward we had our dinner for the men and boys who attended General Priesthood meeting. This has developed into a great barbecue and all the grandsons look forward to coming to Opa's for ribs and steaks.



One of My AP's from our German mission, Christoff K., was there from East Germany as well.

It is a great tradition and it is so wonderful to come together at conference time.

Alles Gute, Dad

6 comments:

Mommymita said...

Cool chef hat Dad - when did you get that?

I wish you had a photo of all the food.

Dad Wirthlin said...

Doug wanted me to put Suz's pet rat.. the one they are leaving with Doug.. on the top like Ratatoulie

Mary said...

I'm not sure the history on the pink dress, however, the white dress that Suz is holding was one of my flower girl dresses. I think Madeline wore it. I still think it is cute after 11 years. In a few years Kate will get to play dress up in it.

I hit my head four times at your house. One in the kitchen and three times on the dryer. Lots of application to Elder Wirthlin's talk.

Doug was the only one who didn't get the memo on the white shirts. He said "I guess I'm the blue sheep of the family."

One more comment- Mom was cute and set up a Christmas tree and did Christmas for David and Suz's girls since we will not be there this December. They were so happy with the little pens and suitcases. Lots of great memories. Thanks for a great time at your home.

Becca said...

We had a fun day with you yesterday. It was lots of fun making crepes together. Those were so good and it was fun to see Suz's technique. I got the recipe from Suz, and Dad happened to have the same recipe from Food Network, we said "we must be related." The food gene is strong in this family.

You forgot to mention that during the sit-down meal for the men, all of the women and children came back from Al's house and were scavenging leftovers and eating the good steak and ribs in the corner.

Lots of fun! Thanks so much!

Suz said...

i like the junk exchange picture. can you tell that i wrote this message from mexico city?

Mommily said...

Dad--John and the boys love to come to your meat feast. I wrote a blog on it too and put a link to your blog. Check out the picture of Mary eating a rib in the corner--she looks like a little kid.

I'm sad I didn't come up earlier to see Suz's crepe demonstration--mine never work.

I hit my head at your house too on a cabinet--maybe because no one in our family ever shuts them.

Thanks again for a fun time!!!