Monday, February 8, 2010

BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS

Dear Family,

Well we are back from Florida, recovered from the raw oyster attack and are back in the saddle.

Here is a picture of Oma's valentine party preparations. That is the next big family get together on this coming Sunday here at our home. There are valentine baskets all over, flowers and hearts everywhere and even I am getting into the spirit of things. We look forward to you all coming on Sunday.

Well last week was busy. Sunday, Mom and I spoke in a single adult ward; Mom on gratitude and I spoke on Patriarchal Blessings. Sunday evening we did a fireside in the home of President Hinckley's daughter to a large combined family group.

Monday, I did my rotation in the Missionary department answering the phone on medical calls from the world's mission field. Monday night I gave a Patriarchal blessing.

Tuesday, we went back to our temple assignment as the Salt Lake Temple was closed for two weeks for renovation. They have made some beautiful changes in capet's and doors. They have added additional lighting.

Wednesday, we were back in the Temple and it was packed with all the missionarys from the Utah, Salt Lake City Mission and all facilities were running full steam. It was packed and so great to see all those missionaries. The Utah missionas are the most productive in all of North America and Canada.

Thursday, we did a fireside in Spencer Daines ward in South Jordan. They have moved here from Wisconsin. During the dinner we discussed our missionary, Bret Miller, whom they knew in Wisconsin. I hope his ears were burning.

Sunday I had to give the lesson in our Quorum in our ward. This is always so challeging as the group is so filled with Temple workers, returned mission presidents, ex Stake Presidents and the Patriarch to the Church Emeritus, Eldred G. Smith. By the way, he is 103, still works and drives his cadilac from home to church and back. We sang him happy birthday last week. The lesson was on repenting and healing so I used my old trick I did when teaching the 18 year olds in Michigan; I started by telling surgical stories and then about wounds and their healing.

I began by telling them about the African man I met in the hospital in Blantyre, Malawi about 45 years ago. He tried to chase a hippopotamus out of his corn patch and that great animal which appeared in his garden from Lake Nyassa, chased him down and finally bit off both buttocks. So we cared for him with these large open wounds where both prominent buttocks used to be getting him ready for skin grafts.

We talked about wounds to the soul and the gift of healing through repentance. After the lesson, the group leader summed it up by saying, "I will never turn my back to a hippopotamus". Well hopefully they will remember something.

The next big things coming up are Oma's Valentine Party next Wunday and the week after that, we will travel to Spokane to see Rob, Eva, Jeff, Tammy and their kids. I will have Rob or his group check out my eyes.

We love you all, Dad

2 comments:

Christina, knick name Bina said...

Dad, that sounds like a great lesson. I love your gospel lessons, I still remember many of them during family scripture study and family home evening. Thanks for being a great example. Love you.

Le Roy Wirthlin said...

I forgot to mention that Saturday night I went with Paul and Paul Jr. to the Jazz game.