Sunday, August 30, 2009

CHERYL AND PAUL SPEAK IN CHURCH


Dear Family,

Today we went to the Holladay ward to hear Cheryl and Paul speak in their service. We went and sat on a row with their eight kids and it kinda remined me of sitting on an entire row with 14 of our kids in the old days in Michigan.

Here is Paul Jr. and Anabelle with her five sisters on the row. Mom had to take little Jonathan out for a change.
Maybe this is a local thing but I notice that the kids come to Sacrament meeting pretty well sugared up from Primary. Several of the girls had sacks of Carmel pop corn; Emily Eva was given a container of M&M's and then the girls got into Johnny's supply of mini waffles. Before the meeting started, there was this intense feeding frenzy for a minute and Cheryl could hear cellophane wrappers opening even from the stand. I am sure one of these days we will hear a talk in conference about this. But I must say after a very brief sugar intake, the kids were quiet for the whole meeting.

Cheryl gave a very good talk on making your home more like the Temple and went through some of the steps to increase spirituality and simply a good feeling associated with a home where love is found. She called the night before and we discussed some points. It was one of her best talks and she discussed some of the day to day difficulties of keeping a home like the temple. I liked what I heard President Kimball say in a training meeting that the only time you raise your voice in a home is when the house is burning! I think a good home has a special spirit or a good feeling that one can sense simply by walking in.

Paul gave a fine talk on preparing to visit the temple. The steps we need to apply are well known. He discussed the inertia that has to be overcome to simply go. He encouraged everyone to try to go at least once a month.

We went over to their home after and had wheat waffles and sourdough bread. It was a fun visit. Sundays are so great and we love visiting with family.

We go to Michigan over the Labor Day holiday. Mom and I will stay at the farm. John is coming up from Florida and Paul and Cheryl and all their kids are coming as well. It is Cheryl's 20th High School reunion. Big barbecue at the farm on Saturday with Bryan and his family and Mary and her family too...like old times. I plan to cut the hayfield for total relaxation.


Alles Gute and love, Dad

1 comment:

JLea said...

President Wirthlin,
I found your blog today and was so excited... I hope you don't mind that I peaked to see with you and your wife have been up to... I'm doing great, I'm in Las Vegas being a stay-at-home mom to three children.

Alles Gute,
Sister Jorja Cox Leavitt
jorjacox@gmail.com