Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BABYSITTING



We seem to be doing a little babysitting lately. Our kids go on vacation and they often leave the littlest one with us. This time Alison had to go back to Michigan to look at property and Paul had to work so Mom did the honors.

They always leave detailed instructions as to what to do with little children, what to wear, what to eat and not eat and when to sleep. I chuckle... didn't we have a little experience raising children. Maybe they forgot but then again maybe they remembered and thus the detailed instructions.

When Cheryl left Jonathan, I found he ate whatever I was eating and was the best little guy.

This time we had the six kids and Mom picked me up at the Church headquarters following my stint in the medical part of the missionary office. We had to go to Sam's Club to pick up eyeglasses. While walking around there, a random lady come up to me and asked if my name was Wirthlin. I said, "Yes, how did you know?" "We saw you on television doing the Joseph Smith surgery presentation!" They showed that segment quite a few times.

Well anyway, as I was leaving, I noticed that there was a hot dog and a soft drink combo for $1.50 so I called Mom and she brought in the six kids. They all got a big Italian sausage and drink and when finished, they had that imploring puppy dog look in their eyes. "Does anyone want another hot dog?" All hands went up so we had a second round of huge hot dogs and we forgot whether that was on some sort of Verboten list.

They were full and tired so Mary put them all in a cart and wheeled them to the car. In the top part, there was little Henry, Clara and Mary Mu Mu. Crawling into the bottom shelf was Peter and William with James keeping it all stable.

So after doing this for years we find ourselves still pushing little kids in shopping carts.

>Alles Gute, love, Dad

2 comments:

Rob said...

Great post! You and Mom are generous baby sitters. By the way, the going rate is about $5/hour per kid. You could start sending us bills. Anna and Julia loved spending time with you when Eva was gone. By the way, how are the Sam's Club specs working out? Rob

Mommymita said...

This is very funny. I never thought of sticking the kids under the cart. The other funny things I notice are 1. Henry is in just a diaper no shorts and has no shoes 2. Clara's dress is inside out 3. James and Peter are in the outfits they were wearing when I came home and they are still wearing them 3 days later. Well whatever you did to raise us kids worked because I think we all turned out ok. As for the hot dogs - I'm glad they didn't go hungry. Thanks again for all the help! The kids will remember this summer at Oma and Opas forever.