Friday, January 9, 2009

SAFE HAVEN?


We have had a lot of snow up here on the foothills of Salt Lake. When it rains in the valley, it snows on the bench so it is starting to pile up. I have an ATV with a plow that we have used frequently to keep the drive way clear.

We have always found deer tracks across our lawn and driveway but when we woke up, there were four deer in our backyard. We have a huge spruce tree in the back yard and they sought shelter from the snow storm. Here we see two does; one bedded down and the other eating Oma's plants. They are pregnant and Mom hopes they will come here to have their fawns. This must be a birthing station!

I watched these deer as they lay there and browsed so peacefully and wondered if they really knew what they were doing. They did not see the mounts on the wall and did not know about the venison in the freezer; they felt perfectly safe.

And then I noticed the cheekiest of all things; here was a nice buck bedded down just above the does. King of the hill and Lord of my roost! What nerve I thought and he did not know what he was doing. My grandfather hunted deer as did my father and I have also done this since a young boy. If there is a hunting gene in our family, I have had it big time which in later years led me to Africa for dangerous game safaris. I have felt differently about all this after my recent mission but still this was pushing it.

And then he got up and leisurely walked across my back yard and it was too much. I have to admit taking a rifle and putting a bead on this chap through the window; after all a buck in the sights is the thrill of the hunt.

But it was only practice. When my three year old granddaughter, Maryanne saw the deer, she asked, "Are those your deer Opa?" "I guess so" assuring their safety.

Here is something else that has found safe haven by our home.

Alles Gute, Opa

7 comments:

Rob said...

You could probably take him out with your crossbow and without waking the neighbors.

Dad Wirthlin said...

Rob.. it would b easy with a cross bow. I can hit a quarter consistently at 35 yards.. Doug and I always have a contest at Bear Lake.

The problm is following a blood trail through the neighborhood. Anyway, i hav always been a little protective of deer on our property even on our farm in Michigan.

See you soon.. love Dad

Mommymita said...

That is funny. They come in our yard but only pass by. I can't believe how comfortable they are back there.

I'll have to ask Moo Moo about the Deer. By the way she calls mom Opa's Mommy

Cathy said...

Dad, that is a great shot of the deer. At least you can do a "Photo Safari" and then put it on your blog.

Katja said...

Ich habe mir da fuer eine Weile Sorgen um den Hirsch gemacht. Ich dachte das, das letzte Bild in ihrem Buero sein wuerde, mit seinem Kopf an der Wand. Vielen Dank, dass sie Naechstenliebe fuer das arme Tier gezeigt haben.

Dad Wirthlin said...

Ach Katje, ich habe die grosse Versuchung ueberwunden. Diese Tiere sind nicht so arm.. die fressen unsere Blumen und Pflanzen. Aber Naechstenliebe habe ich einmal entdeckt! Diese Tiere finden sich nicht so oft an der Wand, sondern im Tiefkuhlschrank.

Alles Gute und eine guten Rutsch ins neu Jarh. Ich fine Ihr Blog interssant... Gruesse an David

Praes. Wirthlin

Mary said...

I think the deer realized that you share mutual respect. Although you hunt, I've noticed that you also love and protect animals more than most.

All of Mom's hard work landscaping has made a nice home and beds for the deer.