Saturday, January 17, 2009

JANUARY VACATION

When we were called to serve in the Salt Lake
Temple. we were asked to plan our vacations around the Temple closing times. At first this seemed like a constraint but we adjusted. We do not take long vacations anyway.

The Salt Lake Temple is closed the last two weeks in January and the first two weeks in July. Last Wednesday was our last day this month.

The temple has been quite busy especially before the Christmas holiday. On the last Tuesday before that holiday it was very busy. There were 51 weddings and there were so many pretty brides around. Mom says I should not notice that but how can you help not to notice beauty.

In the Baptistery, there were 5000 0rdinances performed in addition to 1900 other ordinances elsewhere. I am not sure what the greatest number is but that was a busy day. It is so great to work there and see all the people flocking in; they bring joy and happiness. I am also impressed with the number of younger couples who come.

Mom and I go together but we have different schedules and most of the time I do not see her but we leave little notes. She is always busy and loves working with the brides.

So now we have two weeks off and we plan to Visit Jeff and Tammy and Rob and Eva and their kids in Spokane, WA. I'll have Rob's Opthamology group check out my eyes while we are there.

We are also going especially for Julius's baptism which they organized when we could be off. It is so great to see the kids coming along and it is getting to be a challenge to keep up with their ordinance work. I do not know what we will do when Julianna turns eight in Mexico City, Mexico. Might be a good excuse to go down there! (Or have them come back home!)

The July time off will be at Bear Lake and we are planning a family get together there. Talk to Mom about your vacation plans.

Things have been pretty stable around here. Al was under the weather with a miscarriage but is getting better and we have had the kids over here for a little while. It is fun to sit with them in church but they are pretty squiggly. They come over tomorrow after church for dinner. I'll see if I can get some iron into her.

Here is Opa giving Henry LeRoy his bottle. Haven't quite forgotten how to do this. These little boys keep staring at me as if their eyes were asking, "Don't I know you from somewhere?'

Mom and I speak in our home ward tomorrow, I think for the first time. I miss the Student Ward but some of those members drop by the house anyway and it is always great to chat with them.

Alles Gute, Opa und Oma

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Dad, that will be great for you guys to go to Spokane! Yes, I know about the busy December weddings. There were about 30 weddings scheduled the day that we got married.

Can't wait for Mom's Valentines day bash!! Have a great trip!

Mary said...

Have a great trip. Do you want to come to Michigan the second week in July?

Dad Wirthlin said...

Cathy.. I did not know about the numbe of wedings when you got married. I was over in Germany and could not get to the wedding..( that was one one bummer thing)

Mary.. we will try to get back to Michigan in July..go out to the farm and cut the hay field.

Love, Dad

Mommymita said...

Thanks for all your help! I especially loved when you visited me in the hospital - maybe it was all the meds but it was a funny visit.

Thanks for taking the kids - they really love you and even little Henry pulls himself out my arms to sit with you.

Becca said...

Dad,
you are great with the kids. They love coming over and getting big hugs from you. Even little Austin LeRoy loves to look at and smile at his Opa.

Kontakt said...

Hi President Wirthlin!
Its very nice to see you an those pictures, and read about you and Sister Wirthlin.
I hope it is ok, when I read sometimes your blog.
I think an you Sister and President Wirthlin whit such a great love and whit a thankfull heart.

ex Sister Ladanyi

Dad Wirthlin said...

Hi Valaria,

Es ist wunderbar von Ihnen zu horeren!

I read your blog but do not understand Hungarian. I love the omments people send you on Facebook in German

We are so proud of you and what you are doing. Soemday we hope to come back to Austria.

Alles Gute und alles Liebe

Praes. Wirthlin

Rob said...

Dad, We can't wait to see you. Glad you're spending some of your vacation with us. Rob

Suz said...

Dad, I never have seen a picture of you giving a baby a bottle before. That's great. I liked how you mentioned Julianna's upcoming baptism. It's nice to know you are thinking about us. We don't know what we're doing this summer yet. Most people take off, as it rains a lot and the kids won't have school to keep them busy. We are still trying to figure out our plans. You are always welcome to visit, it's just a 3 hr flight. :)