Monday, December 1, 2008

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND

There are always great things happening around Thanksgiving. It is the offical time to start preparing for Xmas. Cheryl already has her tree up and has the home beautifully decorate with all her Xmas decorations.

Things start happening on Temple Square. The Square is lit up and the Xmas music starts. It is very hard to get tickets to these events unless you know someone. Saturday night, Dave and Ann Wirthlin invited us to go to the Tabernacle where they had the Symphony Choir perform. Temple Square was packed. It has been at least fifty years since I have been in the Tabernacle and I hd forgotten how exquisite the sound was. You could hear the plucking of each harp string. They sang one of my favorite hymns that I know only in German.."Komm du Quelle jedes Segen" and it was beautiful. On the way out a Temple Square Sister Missionary recognized me and came up. She was German from the Augsburg ward and we had a great chat.

Jon and Karen H. put in a bowling alley in their basement. This is a regular four lanes with automatic pin setters. It is quite a deal. We went up there and we had not bowled in 50 years. Mom did pretty good. This will be the highlight of the neighborhood.

We were invited to give a presentation in the Federal Heights ward on Dr. Nathan Smith. There was an interesting group there. Several people knew us from Boston. Several had gone to the U with Mom. Elder Dellenbach was there. He had been a Mission President in Munich and we had a good chat about that. We then went to Paul's ward and little Emilie Eva sat on my lap up front. We had turkey at Cheryl's and Family Home Evening. It was another great Sunday.

Love, Dad

5 comments:

Mommymita said...

Did you take that picture? It is a great shot.

You have a pretty good social life going on out here

Mommily said...

What was Mom's score?

Dad Wirthlin said...

Emily. we did not keep score but they will have a huge digital display that shows everyones score with each frame. The bowling alley is not finshed yet but the alleys and the pin setters work.

After trying that I decided to get zapped so I would have more energy the next time we tried it.

Love, Dad

Mary said...

I love temple square at Christmas time!!

Do they have bumpers? I think I would need them.

Mary said...

about the bumpers - the bowling alley I mean, not temple square.