Friday, December 5, 2008

ELDER WIRTHLIN'S FUNERAL

Dear Family,

We just got back from Elder Wirthlin's funeral at the Tabernacle on Temple Square.(http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=178&lang=english&articleid=091)

It was one of the finest funerals I have ever been to. When an Apostle of the Church passes away, there are very special arrangements made. First of all, it is held in the Tabernacle and the Tabernacle Choir is in full voice. It is planned by a committee of the 12 and we were invited to participate with the family.

There was a viewing yesterday, one a 4 PM for family, one at 5:00Pm for the General Authorities and then one at 6 PM for the public. We went at four and it was moving. There was Elder Wirthlin in his casket when only last week we paid him a visit.

On the day of that visit, he had gone to the cemetery to see the graves of all the family. We caught him late in the evening and had the best visit that I described in my last post. I was surprised when we received the call that he had passed away.

He went to bed and simply died in his sleep. He died with a smile on his face that was there as he lay in the casket. There were at least 100 family members there and they all looked alike. Some of his grandchildren looked like some of my children....Cathy and John have doubles among Elder Wirthlin's grandchildren. I was moved and realized that my old dear friend and Cousin had passed.

Today, we were invited to the Family Prayer gathering. There were more of his family there and the families of his brothers and sisters. There must have been over a hundred in that room. More greetings from old friends. President Monson and some of the 12 came in and President Monson conducted and Dave Wirthlin gave a sweet family prayer.

We were part of the courtage and we made our way to our car and proceeded with the long line of cars to the Tabernacle. We all drove through the gates at Temple Square and parked right outside of the Tabernacle on Temple Square grounds. Aunt Barbara, Uncle Gordon and my Uncle Meeks were with us in the car.

The casket was brought in and we followed the family into the Tabernacle. There was a gauntlet of General Authorities on each side paying respect as the casket came by. Members of the Twelve flanked both sides and the First Presidency was there as well. I nodded to those whom I knew, shook hands with a few and then as I walked past President Monson, he reached out his hand and shook mine and as I walked past, he jabbed me on the shoulder. So many emotions walking past that group.

The meeting was conducted by President Monson who had been a good friend of Elder Wirthlin for years and they had worked together on many projects in many places. He was moved at this passing.

The Tabernacle Choir sang, Joe Jr. gave a wonderful talk and there were talks from Elder Nelson who had also worked closely with Cousin Joe for years. There was a talk by Elder Packard and then President Monson gave closing remarks. All touched on his humility, example and Christlike life. It was the best funeral ever.

We followed the casket out and again walked passed this gauntlet of the Twelve and I shook hands with a few others. President Uchtdorf whispered, "Alles Gute". I was pretty tender at that moment, shook hands with Elder Perry and I walked passed President Monson without seeing him when I heard this voice, "Hey Doc!" I turned and President Monson grabbed my hand and said, "Thanks for all you have done for us over the years!" I melted and I was caught on TV dabbing my eyes.

We then went in the caravan to the grave site. President Monson conducted again and Joe Jr. dedicated the grave. It was wonderful and moving and we were so grateful to be part of it. Elder Wirthlin was my Cousin but he was also my dear friend and Confident for the last 40 years and I will sorely miss him.

I wondered if our Great Grandfather and Grandmother were permitted to look down and see something they started 150 years ago as they gave up their country, traditions and joined the church and came to the west with other pioneers. Elder Wirthlin leaves a great legacy and will never be forgotten.

Alles Gute, Dad

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Opa! I saw you on t.v. and I thought that it was a very great funeral. I am glad that you got to meet Pres. Monson. I saw you dabbing your eyes, and I had an overpowering feeling of love to all of my family and friends. Love you!
-Rachel

Mommymita said...

It was great to be there and not just hear the messages but feel them as well. Elder Packer read Elder wirthlin's testimony and the story the Christmas he spent in Austria. I really enjoyed that.

Heidi said...

Thanks for these thoughts, President Wirthlin. It is so nice to read your thoughts on his passing and funeral. I also loved the story from his mission- Stille Nacht will now hold even more memories for me. I think of your family and hope all is well!

Mary said...

I watched the funeral today through lds.org. It was a really sweet service. I was touched by the inspiring talks celebrating and highlighting Elder Wirthlin's life. What a great man. It was fun seeing some familiar faces exiting the tabernacle - especially you and mom.

Pete said...

The service was wonderful and so is you blog entry. I think your great grandparents would be happy to see such a strong legacy of faith handed down to each generation. I know I am honored to be a part of this great family. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where i can find a video of the burial service for Elder Wirthlin? I've seen his funeral service, but i haven't seen the burial service. So can any one tell me where i can find a video of Elder Wirthlin's burial service? Thanks!

Dad Wirthlin said...

Jake. I know of no vidoe of the graveside ceremony.