Tuesday, September 9, 2008

SOCCER MOMS, BALLET MOMS AND FOOTBALL DADS

With the start of school, the frenetic driving has started for all our families. There are those that drive for soccer. Now however we have a Ballet Mom! Madeline and Annabelle won spots in this years Nutcracker ballet. Cheryl has to drive to the Capital Theater everyday for practices. That is in addition to all the other driving for the other events. Emily's kids are still in soccer and Rachel as well in Mapleton.

Paul Jr. plays little league football. I watched his team win 51 to 0 on Saturday and he ran one in for a touchdown. Doug in addition to his busy surgical practice has decided to be an assistant football coach for Douglas's junior high school football team. There he has a chance to teach life's lessons couched in football perspective: teamwork, focus, giving it your best, take a hit and get up, and accomplishment. Douglas is a scrappy player and his Dad has checked out of life until the end of the football season.

Mom and I went to the U of U football game on Saturday. We were in the box right next to the University of Utah big wigs box. It is such a pleasant way to watch a football game. They serve food at the beginning of the game. We sat at a table and then were joined by Elder Wirthlin, his son and my cousin Gwen. So much fun and Elder Wirthlin is still a great football fan.

As we were sitting there, we were joined by President Uchtdorf and his wife. He is quite a man, very social, greeting everyone and just having a good time with this American pastime. I was surprised that he knew me and spoke to me in German. I do not believe I had met him before.

We talked about Germany for about 20 minutes. They had lived in Augsburg and we talked about the missionary work there. I told them the story of John and the Chinese fireside we had in Augsburg. He has a grandson in the Taiwan Taipei mission. We talked about the Chinese and just had a great time.


During the game, Mom had this get together with the other gals there and it was like a mini Relief Society meeting. I had fun watching them as well as the game. Here she is with Bonnie P., Gayle P. and Karen H. all decked out in University of Utah crimson.

Here is to Sport and Ballet Moms, and Football Dads supporting their kids in school!

Love Dad

5 comments:

Mommymita said...

Well....I have resisted the trend to be such a mom. On other hand I was up to about 11pm helping James decypher his cypher decrypting homework last night. If it wasn't for Paul's help we could have been up all night. Then this morning I sent all the little kids downstairs with a show on so I could sit on James' online course over Skype.......So what do you call that kind of mom? I was just as busy without even leaving the house!

Dad Wirthlin said...

Maybe there is such a thing as the Home School Mom

Emily said...

Yes, I feel like a spaz mom when my kids get home from school making sure they are all where they are suspose to be. It is fun to watch them preform or participate. I remember you use to attend many of our events when we were young.

Mary said...

This is David's 7th day of school and we already forgot to pack the snack. I told him that I couldn't come back for it but that he could look forward to a big lunch. David said that he ate the two pretzel crumbs left over in his bag from yesterday. What kind of mom do you call that?

Glad you had fun at the game.

Cathy said...

Mom was great at supporting our school work and sports. One of my favorite stories was when Becca was recovering from a cold but still ran in a cross country meet. When Becca passed by where mom was watching, mom said, " SLOW DOWN Becca! you look too tired!" Mom also came to our track meets and would bring piles of coast and would give them to kids that were underdressed. ha!