Monday, September 8, 2008

BACK TO SCHOOL...HIGH ANXIETY

The kids are back in school and it is interesting to observe all the concerns. Mary put David into Conant Elementary in Bloomfield Hills where she had gone. The Kindergarten teachers do not sound the same. Paul Jr. is in a different private school, "because I want an education" that he did not think he would get in the public school... which is admirable. Madeline is in public Junior High and seems so much happier. Jeff sent a bunch of pictures of Tammy seeing Julius and Zander off on the school bus looking wistfully on. I passed Doug's kids all walking to school the other day and they waved and hollered as a group

Mom of course was a great battler with the schools and she was well known at the PTA and all the schools and did it in such a way that she was loved and appreciated by all. I went to one high school evaluation night after I retired and the teachers said, "Oh Dr. Wirthlin.. so nice to finally meet you!". I was known by the people who dealt with sports as I went to all the sports activities and worked as the Doc for the football team but did not do battle with the teachers.

It is hard not to think back to when I was a kid going to public school in Flushing, New York. My Dad was busy with his surgical practice and Mom did not drive (or have an extra car) so we walked from 159Th Street to 171st street to PS 132. That was of course all the time, rain, shine sleet or snow. People hate hearing this but it does not seem like so long ago and there were not a lot of choices then. We just went and did what the teachers asked without evaluating their performance or whether they liked us or not. You just went and tried to do your best...my mother never went to a PTA meeting or student review...I do not think they had them.

We all survived and thrived. There may be too many choices in life now days and the variety of choices in all aspects of life makes it harder to move forward. Like trying to walk past a 12 foot smorgasbord table with tons of goodies to choose from.

Here is to mothers and the opening of school!

6 comments:

Mommymita said...

One thing we learned from mom was to always "apple polish" the teachers - that really helped us out more than anything. By the time I got through all the teachers they were thoroughly "apple polished" by older siblings and I had it made.

Emily said...

Dad--I think they had better teachers back then--I am ready pull Caroline from her current classroom. In fact I have already been in to talk to the principle. Or maybe I should try to be a more relaxed mom.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

I think it is true what you wrote about so many choices. Sometimes having so many good choices makes a decision difficult. This thought reminds me that I need to reread Elder Oaks talk, "Good, Better, Best."

After a week and a half, I've decided to switch schools for David. All the schools claim to be "the best" at one thing or another. I finally decided to go to the closest school and make my life easier. Also, now David will be able to tell his children and grandchildren that he literally "walked up and down hill through snow to get to school."

Emily- go with your gut!

Emily said...

Mary--my gut says to switch her, but Ut classes are so full that she can't.--augg!

Dad Wirthlin said...

I went to some pretty interesting public schools in New York.. I was pretty good little guy but once a teacher threw a ruler at me because I laiughed at her.