Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Five Angels



Al found a cartoon drawing I did 26 years ago of my five young daughters. We had nine daughters; two were not yet born at the time. I do not remember the circumstances of the drawing; it was not done in church which was a frequent opportunity to catch an expression. This one looks too well planned. I used to do one on Valentines when Mom would get me to send a valentine.

As I look at this sketch another flood of memories are released. I do not know if some people understand the deep love a Father has for his daughters. They are precious and you want to love them and protect them. Mary said when she was in high school that I had intimidated her boy friends that would come over to the house especially on Saturday night.

"Why?"

"Because you have just come from the farm and you have that big knife on your belt. And then they look into our "African" room and see all the mounts on the wall and they know you shoot to kill!" "Yes and remind them that it was usually only one well placed shot!"

Except for photography and some enjoying horseback riding on the farm, I did not share a lot of hobbies with the daughters then. I could not stand to shop at the Gap and spend a half an hour on a decision to buy a $4.00 blouse. But still there was that tremendous feeling that a Father develops for his angel daughters that remains. I felt a little the same for our sister missionaries over in Germany and Austria. I made sure they were well taken care of, had respect they deserved and that feeling has also persisted.

And now I watch each daughter 26 years later still the apple of my eye but with families of their own. They all revel in their motherhood. They are so close to each other sometimes the husbands comment. They are all on the phone several times each day with one another. When one writes a blog, phone calls..."Did you read my blog?" They automatically help each other and are all joined at the hip.

I can't remember where Emily or Cheryl were at the time of the sketch. They were angels as well.

We honor and love our daughters. I visited Elder Wirthlin the other day and he said,"It is wonderful to have great daughters!" I agreed and added it is also wonderful to have outstanding sons. Here is to wonderful daughters,

Alles Gute, Dad

5 comments:

Emily said...

Fun post Dad. I think I have a sketch you made of me in one of my scrapbooks. You share the cooking/baking hobby with us girls!!!

Mommymita said...

You sure got the personalities down in that simple cartoon.....we all may have the samee expression today.

You also forgot to mention that now you enjoy blogging with your daughters

sunshine family said...

Good post Dad- I'm anticpating a similar blog praising your great eight sons.

Mary said...

I think it was definitely drawn at church. Some of your best cartoons came from sacrament meetings. Also, when else would the five of us be seated neatly in a row like that?

I liked your post. It made me year up a little. It's nice having "an angel" dad also.

PS. Wish I could have made it to the temple last week. :)

Cathy said...

Dad, you sure have a knack for drawing our caricature. That was a nice blog about daughters ... Here is a comment about Dads ...

A Dad who likes to go on motorcycle trips AND to "Spoons and Spice is ALL RIGHT. A Dad who goes on Safari's AND to the mall is GREAT. A Dad who loads bullets in his basement AND keeps an active sourdough start is THE BEST!

Love you dad!

Cathy