Thursday, May 22, 2008

Busy Weekend

We seem to keep busy even though we are unemployed. This last weekend was great. Friday evening we attended the Huntsman Education Awards for excellence in teaching. Principals, teachers and volunteers are honored with a $10,000. prize. Cheryl and I are judges but we are outnumbered by all the teachers who are also Judges. This is truly a great thing that Jon and Karen do each year. Ten awards are given.

Saturday, Doug and I went to the shooting range with Douglas (whom I sprung from a house jail because he was behind in his reading). We had such a great time...the range was empty and we had the whole thing to ourselves. The weather was perfect and the rifles were shooting very accurately. Doug did three shots into one hole at 100 yards. Douglas was peppering cans and things at 30 yards. It was a lot of fun.

Sunday was busy all day. I had my early meetings in Paul's ward. I then had to arrange a stake ward missionary zone conference at 4:30 in the afternoon to which 50 came and we had to supply the eats as well. Cheryl helped make a chicken salad and Mom put on her usual great spread. The theme of the meeting was planning a spiritual baptismal service.

Then we had to host a fireside right after that in our home. This was one of my original missionary groups from 50 years ago. They called us on Thursday and reminded us we offered our home and by the way when you offer the home you also get the speaker and serve the treats. Mom did a super job of treats and we got Sam Park to speak on Joseph's Tomb (Joseph Smith). We were bushed!

Monday, I attended a Reid school awards luncheon at the Lion House for Madeline and Douglas. Cheryl came after I left and Paul was there. They tried to move me out of my seat and I refused to leave my Grandkids (Paul and Madeline) and while this was going on, Madeline was texting her mother, "Dr Reid is trying to kick Grandpa out of his seat!" After lunch we walked over to the church office building where I spent the afternoon answering the medical hot line phone in the missionary department.

Tuesday morning, I was in A Fib so Doug arranged for me to go to the hospital where I was cardioverted again. Doug as been a real help.

So that was the busy weekend.

2 comments:

Mommymita said...

Rest up because it sounds like these next two weekends will be busy as well. It should be fun though.

Mary said...

You and Mom are great hosts for all of your firesides and parties. I'm glad you are feeling better after the hospital zap.