Saturday, February 16, 2013

DOUGLAS GETS HIS MISSION CALL

Another of the grandchildren, Douglas Wirthlin, got his mission call yesterday.  He was anxious and received the packet at BYU yesterday. Since he was in Provo, a Skype connection was set up for the opening of the envelope event with Doug and family.

He had a funny mission call dream in which he was called to the two year "Provo Theatrical Mission".  Bit of a nightmare as there is no such mission but it woke him up good.

The mission is to the Piura, Peru Mission.  He enters the Peru MTC on June 5th.  Congratulations Douglas! He has taken Spanish in High School. He had a hunch that he would go to Peru in spite of the little nightmare.

It is interesting to see where the family has gone on missions.  In my generation and previous generations, all went to Switzerland, Germany and Austria. My brother Alvin went there, also my sister Barbara as did I (twice).  My cousins and uncles past went there as well.  My great Grandfather, Leopold Wirthlin, went back to Switzerland 13 years after he travelled to Salt Lake City crossing the plains as a pioneer.  He left wife and children to complete his mission.  Great missionary faith in those days.  I have often wondered how many of his descendants have served missions.  Of my eight sons. three went to Spanish Speaking missions, two to France, one to South Africa, one to Russia and one to Taiwan.  The grandchildren will be further spread around the world as missionary work picks up.  I have been trying to have sessions with those leaving on Preach My Gospel. So exciting.

What a great time to see this work unfold.  Nice job  Douglas, I know ou will be a great missionary!

Love, Opa

No comments: