Wednesday, May 23, 2012

TRIP TO DENVER WITH RICK AND ROY

Dear Family,

I have been so busy trying to keep up with family events, that I had had little time to post them.  Maybe it is better to live life than to blog about it but we have been busy.

This was a trip To Roy's in Erie Colorado.  I heard that Rick was going up there and decided that it would be fun to get together with the oldest sons.  Mom did not go on this one as it was a shooting trip.

I have wondered whether there is a "shooting gene" and decided that it is in our Swiss heritage.  Our family name comes from Switzerland and my mother was Swiss (Stiefel) and I have many Swiss relatives.  As you know, the entire male population of Switzerland is in their army.  Each male in Switzerland has a fully automatic assault rifle in his closet with a sealed container of 25 rounds.  They are instantly mobilized if there is any threat. I can't imagine that would work here in America.  The Swiss are disciplined and law abiding.

My Swiss cousins are all marksmen.  They have to regular qualify and they practice in local shooting ranges.  Not uncommon to see a group of uniformed men casually walking down to the local shooting rand with their assault rifles on their shoulders.  They practice by shooting head size targets at 300 meters with  open sights.  Some of my extened Swiss family compete in matches and one showed me his many medals for marksmanship.  So I blame it on our Swiss heritage.

Roy is an accomplished long distance shooter and competes in 1000 yard competitions.  Rick was going up there to look over the arsenal and get a little feel for the sport.  The picture  above (a little grainy) shows Rick at the range with Roy spotting in the background. We had a ball!  With one of Roy's gourmet long range rifles, I was able to hit a quarter sized target at 200 yards (even with tired eyes).

We spent time in Roy's Sancta Sanctorum getting the sniper rifles ready, took in some great dining places and had a ball!

For Rick it was like a smorgasbord of shooting possibilities and he became pretty good as well.  Here is Roy getting the Blaser sniper rifle ready.

Well this is an odd subject for a family blog but the gene is deep and starting to express itself throughout our gang and it has been very technical and much fun.

Love, Dad

No comments: