Monday, September 19, 2011

BYU - UTAH GAME; A CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Well they are not smiling so much now!

With the knock out victory of the  Utah Utes over the BYU Cougars by forty, count them, points,  things are kinda quiet down there today.

We have been conflicted over whom to root for.. well anyway Mom is.  We had 15 of our 16 living children go to the "Y" and they picked up 18 degrees there including 15 Bachelors, two Masters and a PhD.  I will forever be grateful for what the "Y" has done for my family, However, I cannot bring myself to root for their football team!  All our kids root for them.  Here is a picture of Rebecca, Paul and all the kids  faithfully wearing the colors on the day of the big rival game.  Even the little guy not yet one year old is being indoctrinated!

Paul is one of those rabid BYU fans.  Even though he graduated from the "U", his loyalty to the BYU football team knows no bounds.  He even sat in the "Must", the section of Utah students at the U stadium, waving a big BYU banner and got a little pommeled couple of years ago.. That did not dampen his enthusiasm fpr the "Y".  He and Becca came up from St. George for the game.

Mike and Joseph were there as well including Doug, Douglas, Spence and Nate.  Doug paid BIG BUCKS to get tickets but they all had a good time until the game started and it was downhill with a vengeance for the BYU football team.

You got to remember that Mom and I received our Bachelor degrees at the "U".  In addition, my Dad played football for the "U" in the late '20's.  I grew up seeing him wear his red letter sweater everywhere including deer hunting in New York.  Elder Wirthlin, when he was a teenager, used to go up to the "U" to watch my dad play football.  Elder Wirthlin also payed football for the "U" and became one of their best fans.  So I do not think I will root for the "Y".

I guess I will have to repent a little for all the great Schadenfreude I felt.  BYU has beaten the "U" several times by only a point or two in the last minute and this drubbing was a joy to watch.  Sorry all you BYU fans in the family.

We had a busy Sunday;  I gave the lesson in Priesthood on the Gathering of Israel.  Mom and I gave talks in the singles ward and then there was a blessing in the evening. That work has been busy this last week.

Love, Dad and Mon


1 comment:

Heidi said...

President,

I love this post! Even though I am a BYU grad and fan, some of my favorite people in the world are Utah fans! Congrats on the blowout win! :)

Heidi