Thursday, September 15, 2011

BOSTON; WHERE WE LIVED

 Dear Family,

We got back from or trip to Boston and I will tell the details in a couple of posts.  I thought it would be interesting to the family to show photos of where we lived in and around Boston.

We met our Sister Missionary, Becky Christensen, who took us to church and drove us around on the day we were leaving to see all the old sites.  Becky got her Masters degree in Social work at Simmons and is working in Newton Center.  She was a terrific help.

The first picture above is of Holden Green, part of Harvard Housing where we lived from 1960 through 1964.  We started with the apartment on the first floor next to the door.  That's where we were with Roy.  The rent was $70.00 and my income for a couple of ears was $0.00.  When Rick came, we moved to a slightly larger apartment and my salary as a surgical intern in the Massachusetts General Hospital was $77.00 a month because we had children. We had Roy, Rick and Doug when we lived at Holden Green.  This is where Mom assigned me to baby sit Roy when she had to go on one of her Relief Society visits.  I was always dead tired so I put Roy on my tummy and passed out to the deeper stages of sleep induced anesthesia.  I locked the door so Roy could not get out.  Mom did not have a key and I was insensate when she knocked so she had to call the fire department to get into the apartment.  Holden Green was great and there were several LDS couples living there as well.

 When we got back from our two year stint in the US Navy at Pensacola, FL, we rented that old home in Arlington.  It was behind the apartment house on Pleasant Street.  The Bushman's lived over the fence around the corner and the elementary school was through the fence and all kids were chronically late for school.  We lived there for four years.  The house was knocked down when we left but thee is the site.
 When I got on the Surgical Staff at the MGH, we bought our first home on Dedham Street from Gail and Laurel Ulrich.  This is where we had seven more kids and where we kept our two bee hives in the 1/2 acre backyard and was the place of many memories and great fun.  We ,moved from there to Michigan in 1977.  Current owner have added a circular driveway in the front.  Murley's field across the street where the kids played is full of trees.
I thought you might be interested in the Boston Temple which is in Belmont just off Rte 2.  There is Becky standing in front.  She is also an ordinance worker here. There was much "todo" about the steeple, its height and construction.  They have a New England type steeple.  The grounds are beautiful.  When we lived there, we had to make the long trip to Washington to attend a Temple.

I am doing this backwards; this was the last morning of the trip.  It brought back so many memories from portions of my brain that have not been used for many years.  It was so great to see this and we are so grateful that Becky took us around.  More about the trip later.

Love, Dad and Mom

1 comment:

Mommymita said...

What a cute house that is! How did we all fit in it though? I was just a baby when we moved and wish I had more memories there.