Sunday, September 27, 2009

SPENCER'S BAPTISM


Dear Family,

Spencer turned eight and we had his baptism on Sunday. They do baptisms differently in Utah. Usually it is a stake baptism as there are so many at one time and the wards do not all have baptismal fonts. Emily invited me to speak at the baptism of one of her children before we went on our mission. I thought this would be a little private thing but there must have been over 100 kids with several wards involved. It was like speaking to a Stake conference.

This time Spence was the only one so they allowed a private baptism and it was arranged so both grandparents could be present. Must of our gang arrived and there was the Bleak family as well who came down from Oregon.

Here is a picture of Opa W., Spencer and dad, Dr. Doug. Spence had asked me to do the baptism. We wondered before we began, "When was the last time I had baptized someone?" As you know, I did not baptize all the kids as when the boys were Priest age, they baptized their siblings. I guess Julie was the last one of the kids I baptized and that was 20 years ago. Paul F., Alison's husband, reminded me it was exactly 15 years ago that I baptized him when he was a student at University of Michigan. So this invitation was a high honor and everything went well.

As we were changing, members of the family spoke with grandparents (not me) expressing their feelings. All the little kids, mostly our grandkids sang Primary songs. There was a terrific spirit there. The baptistery was totally filled with family and friends. Here is a picture of all the kids participating in song at the baptism.

Afterward there was a dinner at out house. Doug's house was all torn up in renovation. It was another grand family event with everyone bringing something. Mom did the fruit. Becca made two hundred bread sticks that were simply snarfed. I had my sourdough bread, Emily helped with the salad and brought cupcakes and cake, Christina brought the lasagna and everything was consumed quickly. Alison made the best Creme Carmel and unfortunately set it in front of Doug and myself. It was a great family event where we celebrated Spence's baptism and Joseph's birthday.

The next family event will be the high protein low veggie dinner after General Priesthood Meeting this coming Saturday evening. Watch the broadcast in our ward and treats at our house. Doug may bring something special.

We are looking forward to General Conference this weekend.

Alles Gute, Opa

No comments: