Sunday, June 21, 2009

REMEMBERING FATHERS; GREAT GRANDFATHER LEOPOLD WIRTHLIN


Dear Family,
As we remember Fathers, my thoughts went back to my great grand father, Leopold Wirthlin. Here is his p[icture.
I had written a blog about my great grandfather's baptism. but did not tell more of the story. In those days, when you were baptized it also meant that you packed up and came to Utah Ths was about 1863.

He and Anna Hirschi combined funds, bought passage to America, dodged Civil War conflicts as they made their way to cross the plains. They went with a covered wagon company to Salt Lake. They essentially walked across the plains. They married in Salt Lake and began their family. Leopold found work in the granite quarries bringing the huge blocks for the construction of the Salt Lake Temple.

They had several children and then one day Leopold went to Conference and President Brigham Young got up and read the list of new missionaries and Leopold was called to return to Switzerland. There were no interviews and in those days if you had been a pioneer, left your homeland and made your way to the West, you were ok to go back.

Leopold left his young family and filled a 18 month mission in Switzerland. He had some sucess as was reported in the Desert News on his return, He was a man of faith and conviction. I received the follwoing note on Facebook from someone who had found my blog post. On this Father's Day, I feel connected to my Great Grandfather Leopold Wirthlin.

"Bro. Wirthlin, I was surfing the net and found your post on your blog, about your great grandfather Leopold Wirthlin.He baptized my Great Great Grandparents Michael and Elizabeth Knutti in Därstetten, Bern, Switzerland in 1877. They emigrated and settled in the Bear Lake Valley, Montpelier, Idaho. Will always be eternally grateful for Elder Wirthlin bringing the Restored Gospel to our family. We are also related to the Hirschi family."
Gene Knutti, Montpelier, Idaho
Alles Gute, Dad

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for the bit of family history. David loves hearing these stories.

JOYFULLY JOYFUL said...

Hi!

My name is Karen Lee Britton
and I have been looking for more information on
Leopold & his wife Anna Hirschi Wirthlin.
As I had been praying to find out more information about my great great Grandparents I came across your blog as I had received a prompting to enter Leopold Wirthlin into Google and to my surprise I came across your blog.

I would appreciate it if you would share what ever information that you may have on Leopold,Anna and the Family they had together.

I would also appreciate any information that you may have on their individual Families that they grew up in.

Any Journals or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

My grandfather was Paul William Wirthlin and His Father was Joseph Wirthlin who was the Son of Leopold & Anna.

My Mother is Saundra Wirthlin Orton daughter of Paul William Wirthlin and Carroll Jane Park.

Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Sincerely,

Karen Lee Britton