Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mega Events






1. BABY BLESSINGS


We had another baby blessing extravaganza in Sacrament meeting today. Mary and Mark came back from Michigan, Suz and Scott from Arizona and Rebecca and Paul from Highland to have their babies blessed. We filled up the church again with all the families involved, the chapel was packed. Everyone did a good job but I had forgotten that Becca and Paul named their little boy Austin Le Roy and I was touched. Fathers did a great job with the blessings. Cathy, Al, Mary and Becca hung out in the "Mother's Room" during church for a group nursing event.. they forgot to text Suz that they were all there. The High Councilman got shorter time to speak but it was ok and they love those group blessing in our ward.

We had a huge party over to the house right after church. It was more of a luncheon. We did the preparations yesterday so there was not a lot of work. Mom set up the living room and dining room with an unending supply of chairs and tables. I believe we had about a 100 over with friends and family or the Hatches, Paylors and Williams and then of course there was our crowd. There were little kids all over the place.

I smoked 6 slabs of ribs yesterday and it barely reached. Some of the kids were sneaking in the kitchen and loading up on ribs, bypassing the lineup. There was a honey baked ham, chicken salad croissant sandwiches, salads galore and it sort of reminded me of a a ward luncheon. We had our neighbors over from across the street and she got a kick out of the goings on. there was joy all around. We are definitely in the "Having joy and rejoicing in our posterity" phase.


(Wiped out little Grandkids after lunch)


#2 TV APPEARANCE:

The Joseph Smith Papers group videotaped an interview with me last year concerning the surgery that Joseph Smith had as a child. While we were back East, it was shown on Channel 17, the Larry Miller Jazz station. Larry Miller contributed a lot of money to the Joseph Smith Papers project and they show the series each Sunday at 7:30 PM.

When I went back to the temple, everyone came up and said it was good. I listened the next week as they play a new taping and the previous weeks presentation. It was pretty good and they did a nice job talking about Nathan Smith as a doctor. One of these days it will be general knowledge in the church. When I did the research, I thought Nathan Smith (founder of Dartmouth Medical school) would be remembered by a few thousand Dartmouth graduates but will be remembered and revered by millions of Latter day- Saints as the Doctor who saved Joeseph Smith's leg and his life. It is the first great story we have about Joseph Smith.

Funny reactions when you see yourself on TV. I thought ,"Man I need a makeover". Little Mary Anna had the best reaction. I had to explain Typhoid fever and what it does to you and when she heard it, she broke out laughing, "Opa said diarrhea on TV!!!" She now mentions it in her prayers; "Bless Opa not to say diarrhea on TV". Can't win. It was a hit and then there was an article in the Deseret News that was pretty long so now we have more invitations to speak about this in firesides.


It was really busy around here today. I am feeling better

Alles Gute, Dad

6 comments:

Mommymita said...

Fun event Dad! Little advice to thoses attending such big family events......Get in line before the grandkids because they fill their plates high and the pickins' are slim following such a growing crowd.

Thanks for your hard work mom and thanks for saving me one rib Dad - they were good and my fingers still smell smoky!

Becca said...

Dad,
Thanks for hosting that great event. That was a lot of work that mom did and I really appreciate it. It was so nice to enjoy my baby and the blessing today and not stress over the lunch. Your house is great for those parties and everyone always feels comfortable and welcome in your home.

As for the advice, Emily. It came too late for me. I was nursing the baby as all of those kids were loading up on ribs and the good stuff.

Mary said...

The ribs were great! I love that you were wearing your apron in all the pictures... a sign of a true chef.

I liked the article you were quoted in. I'll help you write your book.

Mary said...

Maryanna's comment made me laugh.

It reminded me of when you spoke at a fireside in our ward in Dallas. Our former bishop liked the presentation and said, "That was great! I never heard the word 'pus' said over the pulpit."

Cathy said...

Dad it was great to have another big shin-dig. We even got out a few Leicas and took some cute pictures!

Emily said...

I agree the ribs were the hit of the buffet. I think we should have oldest to youngest in the buffet line. That way Dad and Mom could start the line and get to taste some of what they worked so hard on. It was fun. I admit I took a rib from the kitchen because I knew I wasn't going to be able to get in line till the end. Growing up in a big family some of the survival skills kit in at big events. :)