Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Dear Family,

April is a big month for birthdays in our family; we have 19.  So there are birthday parties galore.

Of course, one of the big ones is Opa's on April 11th.  We had a celebration with those who were still in town and not off on a spring school break,  Mike, Cheryl and Paul, Suz and Scott, Cathy and Pete came over for the celebration.

As you can see, we brought in Lobsters for the occasion.  I think New England Lobster is a heavenly food and my absolute favorite.  We have always celebrated with this wonderful product of the sea.  We had Harmon's order them in and they were alive and fresh and not too expensive compared to flying them in from Lobster Guy.

Before cooking the lobsters, I always like to chase any kid in the house  trying to get them to have the lobster take a little walk on their backs. They all run faster than I can now.

Here is Timmy in a bit of a shock as he checks out the live lobster.  I have to wear my Mission apron and of course the chef's hat.  Natalie, (now Sister Hickey), remembered I offered to give her a dollar if she would hold a live lobster when we lived in Michigan.

Cheryl and Mom had the salmon and the rest had lobster and there were so many cooing and "immmmm" sounds around the table.  Everyone had such a good time and there was abundant joy on this occasion.

Suz made the best Mexican cake.. can't think of the name but it is Mexican. Not scrap of it left.  I celebrated 13 years since my open heart surgery with aortic valve replacement and coronary artery bypass grafting done on my birthday in 2001.  Birthdays are lucky days and I planned it that way.

 At this time I am grateful for life and the extension of life.  It has been such a blessing to see the grandkids grow up and blossom. I also appreciated the almost 80 "Happy Birthdays" on Facebook. That was a surprise. I feel enormously grateful and blessed.

Love to you all,

Dad

No comments: