Monday, November 18, 2013

CAROLINE DOES AIDA (HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL)

Dear Family,

Mom and I went down to Spanish Fork to see the Mapleton Mountain School production of a musical, Aida.  This adaptation followed the general plot of the opera set in Egypt.  The score and dialogue was strictly pop .here was a  mini orchestra in the background.

The main reason we went to this of course was to watch Caroline (Emily's daughter).  She is a sophomore in high school so did not have a lead but sang in the chorus as the princess ladies in waiting.  She was stunning!

I got the very front seat in front of the first row and took some shots with the Leica Digilux 5.  They let us snap some photos without flash and the Leica excels at that in dark conditions..

Here she is right in front of me doing one of those Egyptian poses while singing.  She belted out her part and it was so fun to watch her.  Somehow she was the only one I was paying attention to.


Caroline was charming and had a lot of stage presence.  I loved watching her!  She was a star in a JH musical production and I am sure next year she will have a lead role.

Caroline has many talents: she went to the state championship for ladies doubles  tennis and almost won it coming in second.  She is also a great cook, had a business selling bagels she baked when she was eleven.

I sat there and my thoughts went back to my mission in Austria long time ago.  On one of our preparation nights, we went to the Vienna Opera.  We used to buy standing room for a shilling (about 25 cents), and then would find an empty seat.  One night we went to see Aida in which performance, Leontyne Price made her operatic debut in the title role.  It was a great night.  I looked around at the balconies and saw several famous German movie stars including the famous Romy Schneider.  That was fantastic.

Caroline was elegant and had such great poise.  Emily and
John and the kids were there and we also spoke with Mike and his family.  Love these little get togethers even the brief ones.  I am so grateful I am alive to watch my grandchildren get older and blossom.

Love, Dad

1 comment:

Emily said...

Dad thanks for coming down. It was fun to see you!! I will show this to Caroline tomorrow. Just a correction, she was 2nd in Region and got through to the 2nd round at state in tennis which is still pretty impressive for a sophomore. Love you Dad--thanks for always supporting all your 80 grand children!