Thursday, May 16, 2013

DOUGLAS PREPARES TO LEAVE FOR HIS MISSION

Dear Family,

Douglas is getting ready to go on his mission.  He was called to Peru and will be leaving the first part of  June.  I believe he will go straight to the MTC in Peru.

We went with Doug, Kristina, her parents and Douglas to the Jordan River Temple as Douglas prepares to leave.  It was a very fine experience and there was a good spirit there.

Both grandparents were in attendance and here is a picture of Douglas, Oma and Opa Wirthlin in front of the Jordan River temple.  I forgot my recommend but luckily a second cousin, a Wirthlin, is the temple recorder  and vouched for me.

Here is grown up Douglas, now taller than anyone, about to leave.  He used to sit on my lap for  all the family pictures about 13 or more years ago.  Time has just slipped by.  It has been a blessing to see these grandkids grow up.

I told little Jonathan that in 13 years, he will be ready to go on his mission and he immediately asked, "Will you still be my Opa then?"  I told him I certainly hoped so. Douglas will have his Farewell on Sunday and Doug and Kristina plan an open house after church.  Some of these open houses are over the top as the entire ward is usually considered friends and even if we only had our family there, it would be a large group.  We had a nice luncheon with Doug and Kristina's family after the temple visit.

There was a double function as the gals planned a luncheon with Cheryl on the same day as the temple visit as it was Cheryl's birthday.  Kaley, Emily, Suz, Cathy, Mom and I were all there with Cheryl.  They went to a Middle Eastern restaurant where they all had "healthy" food and there was much purring during the lunch.  I had already eaten so just had a little piece of Baklava.  Since I was the only one with a suit, the waitress galantly handed me the tab!

Now that school is over, I hope to get in a few sessions with Douglas on "Preach My Gospel"

Lots going on.  John and Kaley will be moving to Alpine into her Dad's home there.  Saturday, we will take a trip out to the desert where my old fishing buddy, Paul Keil, to hunt Geode formations.  Paul is a "rock hound" of about 60 years and knows where all the cool rocks are in Utah.  Will definitely be a blog post on that. We are getting the picks and shovels together.

We love you all,

Dad

No comments: