Wednesday, November 9, 2011

CREPES ON SUNDAY

Dear Family,

Sunday was very busy.  Paul invited me over to his ward to give his Priest class the lesson on Patriarchal Blessings. So we drove over to Holiday and when I got there, they had assembled the Priests, Teachers, Laurels and MIA Maids for the lesson.  there were about 30 - 40 kids,

They were sharp and knew a lot about the House of Israel and the concept of birthright. I gave a half hour lesson and Mom said it was good. (Some adult leaders were taking notes.}

After church, Paul took us  up to his parents for brunch in his new huge van.  Many of his family were there and it was quite a sight with Karen constantly cooking and providing for all the grand kids as they came.  I  had a chance to visit with Paul's Dad.  It was a very good time.

I had a Patriarchal Blessing that evening and after felt kinda tired. .We got a call from Paul Jr. that Cheryl and Paul were having a special Family Night and could we come. Also we think you should  make some crepes.

Well we had spent the afternoon with them but OK, we will gladly come over for Family Night and bring my crepe recipe and special pan. It could be that the kids were behind this request.  After a Family Night, they all pitched in and wanted to help with the crepes.  Someone broke the eggs, others measured the milk, another measured the flour, another the water.  Mary Clare melted the butter, I added a little vanilla flavored Kefir milk for zest and we turned on the blender and viola, perfect crepe batter.

I cooked crepes one at a time for at least a half an hour and they kept coming back for ,more. Finally after the second batch of batter, they were full and wandered off to bed.

The next night I get a call from Loren,  "Grandpa, we are having scriptures now, can you come over for that and make some more crepes?"  I guess they figured out that I am a sucker for Family Home Evening and scripture reading and can easily be talked into making crepes. " I can't come now because it is too late and we are in the Temple Tuesday and Wednesday night but how about Thursday night?"  "Cool Grandpa!" So we have a date for Thursday night.

I guess I like doing sweet things.

Love, Opa

3 comments:

Katja said...

Yum, those look sooo good. When are you coming to Maryland to make us some, we won't eat as much as your family, but we would love to have some too. :) We'll even do a FHE lesson for you! :)
P.S.: I hope I didn't offend you with my German lesson on Facebook.

Le Roy Wirthlin said...

Hi Katje.. I missed the lesson on Facebook.

How do you like he East Coast. Maryland is great and the crabbing there is terrific.

I see that Talita is in Germany. She has a good Oma! Alles Gute

Mommymita said...

I've got to talk to you about adding kefir - that would be good! William's requested crepes this week for his birthday so I may end up with a sore wrist once they are all cooked. Wish we could join all the fun family gatherings