Wednesday, May 11, 2011

REORGANIZATION OF SINGLE STAKES, I THINK I STILL HAVE A CALLING

Dear Family,

There has been a monumental reorganization in the church for young single adults. It has affected 90,000 LDS single adults in Davis and Salt Lake County and has been in the works for two years.

I attended a meeting in the Tabernacle for all leaders in the valley and it was packed. All University stakes were dissolved (also at BYU) and all current leaders were released.

The creation of twelve new stakes in Davis and Salt Lake County was announced withe the boundaries projected on a screen. Here is a shot of Elder Ballard giving a talk at the tabernacle. There were three such meetings in the Tabernacle to accommodate all the leaders in various areas.

There were then meetings announced for each stake and two weeks ago 12 stakes were organized simultaneously in Davis and Salt Lake Counties. There were General Authorities running all over the place.

I went to a meeting for the new Riverton Stake where the President I worked with was sustained as the new stake president. It was held in the institute building in West Jordan and I'll bet there were about two thousand young adults there. There were no seats and standing room only in the chapel and in the halls.

The new stake was created by flashing the boundaries on a screen and voted on. The new stake presidency was sustained. Then there were 11 wards created. The boundaries for one ward was splashed on the screen and then those who lived within those boundaries stood and met and sustained their new Bishop. This went on and on. There is even a Tongan single adult ward with a Tongan Bishop created. The new Stake Presidency spoke and that was it. So now there has been a great scrambling to staff and make leadership calls of all kinds to flesh out the wards and stakes.

I was wondering what would happen to my call as the University Stake was dissolved and we were all released. Pres. Plumb said I would go with him to the new stake and I have not heard anything since until last night when we were invited to speak in one of the new Singles wards, the Riverton first ward as the Stake Patriarch. So Mom and I will be going there in June when we get back from Arizona where Alexandra will be baptized.

This re-organisation will be a good thing for all those singles, the point of which is that they have opportunity to meet a potential spouse So great. I guess we will still be in business.

Love, Dad and Mom

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Gotta love singles wards! That's where Pete and I met!