Monday, September 27, 2010

TRIP TO MAINE AND THE VASCULAR MEETING

Dear Family,

Mom and I went to the yearly meeting of the New England Vascular Society in Rockport Maine. This society was once founded by my vascular mentor, Robert Linton with whom I was associated in practice and I was one of the early members. It has been a very long time since I went to a meeting and we went to get the CME credits for licensure,

Here is a picture of Mom at the edge of the bay; the meeting was held on Penobscot Bay and everything was so New England. The meeting was OK but it was mostly non surgical stuff. I met a member who was a resident when I was on staff at the MGH, Craig Donaldson; we published a paper together. I met some of Doug's surgical teachers at the MGH who are two generations younger than me,

What was really great was being back in Maine, the site of deer hunts, family vacations on Lake Sabeo and High Adventure trips with the Explorer scouts canoing down class II white water rivers, And of course there was the cusine! Mom and I flew to Boston, rented a car and with the GPS drove to Rockport which was a four hour drive. We stopped at Kittyport, Maine and found a great seafood restaurant. They had two 1 1/4 pound lobsters for $17.00. This has been a good year for lobsters. Also had a bucket of Steamed clams that you see in the picture. Probably 20 years since we had that treat.

The meeting was held at a fancy resort overlooking the Bay and we left the door open in the evening to fill the room with fresh sea air and it was great. The meetings were in the morning and we had the afternoons free. We discovered another great sea food place out in the bay a bit with their own lobster pots

Here is that great place that has bee there for years, Had a lobster which is pictured below; there is absolutley no sea food better than a fresh Maine lobster boiled.

Rockport and Rockland are artsy little towns and we visited the Andrew Wyeth art museum and saw where three generations of Wyeths contributed to American art,


Here is the bruiser that was good for almost two meals.










For smaller snacks, they had these Lobster roll shops that you can visit after the art exhibits. This is a junior roll and it is economically better to get the big lobster.

We stayed till Sunday. Mom caught the tail end of the Women's Conference on the Internet. Sunday morning I finished the meetings and we got to church. There was a little branch close to the Resort and Sacrament meeting was interesting and it was great to see faithful members up there in Maine. We drove four hours to Boston n and had a four hour plane ride back and it is good to be home again.

Doug and Christina went to the Western Vascular meeting somewhere in Oregon; I thin we had better papers and food.

Love, Dad

3 comments:

Mommily said...

Wow--Dad sounds fun. Your post made me hungry and reminded me of the sailboat trip up the coast of Maine, Mike and I took when we were in High school. Glad you had a nice time.

Mommymita said...

What a great trip! When you said "mom caught the tail end. of Women's conference" I thought you were still talking about lobster tails. I'm kind of jealous of those and it makes my mouth water looking at the picutres

Mary Mary said...

The oysters and lobsters definitely beat our road trip food.