Monday, June 7, 2010

LAID BACK MEMORIAL WEEKEND




















Dear Family,

We had a great Memorial Day weekend. It was less laborious than the days when we had the farm in South Lyon, Michigan. That was the day when the entire family, without exception, went to the farm for the planting of our huge garden. We planted everything and all helped. It is interesting now to see most of the kids doing their own garden including Cheryl who has put in raised garden beds on her new home.

Mom and I rode up with Mike and his kids, Joseph, Caroline, Emma and Michael and Emily's boy Jake to Bear Lake. Here is a photo of Mike and the gang picking up fallen cotton wood branches on our place in St. Charles Idaho. That's Bear Lake in the background. I got all the toys registered in Idaho. Mike got on the Internet and figured out how to repair the valves on the tub, showers and sink. He went down to Home Depot in Logan and bought the parts and tools and did this plumbing repair. Mom was constantly working as well. The place is shaping up for the reunion. We drove back on Saturday morning.

Monday, Mom did some gardening at home and then we went to Cheryl and Paul who were up at Paul's parents home up the street from us. It was pool time and Mom took a siesta at poolside (with her Chinese hat purchased at the Great Wall of China) while I watched Johnny poolside. We went over to Paul's sister, Christina D. for a great barbecue and more poolside.

Mom and I then visited the graves of our parents and left flowers. It is always a moment of reflection and appreciation for all they had done for us.

We found the grave of my Great Grandmother, Anna Hirschi who was the first of our family to join the church in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1863 and invited her boyfriend, Leopold Wirthlin, to come to church after which he joined the church as well.

they were pioneers who walked across the plains to Salt Lake where they were married. Iwould have loved to have known her. Their sacrifice and steadfastness in difficult times is an example to all generations that follow.

Mom and all are gearing up for the 50th wedding celebration and Reunion. There are some secret emails going around that we have not read but it is a sign everyone is getting into the spirit of the occasion.

We love you all...alles Gute, Mom and Dad

3 comments:

Mike Wirthlin said...

We had a great time at Bear Lake. I was exhausted at the end of the day but it was a lot of fun.

Could you get the GPS coordinates of all of the family graves? I think it would be nice to have locations so we can find the graves at a different time.

Mary Mary said...

We did a little planting ourselves. I also went to Julie's grave and planted impatiens.

JOYFULLY JOYFUL said...

Hi my name is Karen Britton and Leopold and Anna are my great great great grandparents and I have been wanting to find out more about them and there lives. Following a prompting to Google Leopold Wirthlin and I came across your blog. My grandparents are Paul William and Carol Park Wirthlin. Their daughter Saundra Wirthlin Orton is my mother. I would appreciate it if you would contact me please. So that I may find out more about these twonderful people. I look forward to hearing from you.


Thank you,

Karen Britton