Monday, May 24, 2010

STAKE CONFERENCE IN THE ASSEMBLY HALL


Dear Family,
Yesterday was a beautiful spring day but this morning it snowed two inches on the flowers and garden.

Our Single adult university stake had a Stake Conference on Sunday and they held it at the Assembly Hall on Temple Square. It was such a beautiful day.

Here is a picture of us in front of the Assembly Hall. Mom and I went the night before to a meeting where I learned I was to speak at the Sunday General session. Patriarchs are to be in the shadows but that is pretty far back.Mom dropped me off and I went first to a Leadership Meeting which was very good.

Our session started at 11:00 AM and ended at 1:00 PM. There was a feeling of history there as we held the conference; the rows were all filled as was the balcony. Every President of the Church had spoken there except for Joseph Smith. There were nice big fancy seats in the front that were very comfortable.
The first speaker was the President of the Temple Square Mission that only has Sister Missionaries with Sister Zone Leaders and APs. The Church received 80,000 referrals from them last year. He gave a rousing good talk on missionary work.

I was the second speaker and talked about the experience of giving my first Patriarchal blessing. I could do that because the young lady had since gotten married and moved out of the stake. I talked about our Heavenly Father's love of each individual. I am out of practice a little for public speaking but Mom said I did OK. It as so great to see 2000 members of the stake there. I had two blessings that evening (and two on Thursday) and those were touching. We finally have the dividing sliding doors built for the office so I have a little privacy. It was a busy but very rich Sunday.

Today is Mom's birthday. I got her a painting of the Savior that we purchased at the Church History museum when we went to hear Laurel Ulrich talk about history associated with stuff in the house. Cheryl is having a dinner party for Mary Clare who has the same birthday and we go there tonight.

Had a root canal the other day and need to go back tomorrow. Ouch!
Doug and John are over in Beijing and they write each day with instant messaging. They are having a blast! I told Doug to pick out a nice pearl choker necklace for Mom at the Pearl Market in Beijing. He will also have dinner with the lady we baptized in Vienna who now lives there.

Things are quiet in the missionary Department today
Love you all,
Dad

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sounds like a great conference. Happy birthday to Mom!